Friday, June 27, 2008

Is it pretentious to say I'm living an alternative lifestyle?

It's really fucked up how often people gasp in shock when they hear I'm going to bike 25 minutes home from work. They usually aren't even accounting for the fact that I've already done it 3 times earlier that day, and that over the previous week there was heavy rain.

How did we as a species get so fucking lazy? .. In fact it's not even laziness, because I guarantee you the amount of time I would save driving would not (assuming my time is worth minimum wage) cover the cost of the petrol to do it.

Ya know, now that I think about it, it isnt really about people being lazy, or looking out for their own personal comfort - I'm sure it is more to do with the indoctrination aquired just living in this society. It's dangerous to do something different, people make out like it's so hard to start biking or walking everywhere, or going vegan, or not shopping for stupid shit like clothes every week. But its not hard, its easier.

I suppose it fucks me off the most when people who seem quite willing to admit they believe most of the world's problems are caused by the way us 'privlleged' countries live our lives, and will stand around condemning society - suggetsing alternative ways that would improve the situation, arguing theory about how our actions effect the global economy and environment.. but are still unwilling to make those changes they support in their own life.

I tells ya, Michael Jackson had it right.